Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DOT?

I have seen things that amazed me, and things that I wish I could expunge from my memory. But never would I have guessed that I would find an article from the US Department of Transportation to be funny.

I should point out that the article is eight years old, and that the current web site for these worthies includes phrases such as this:

The ultimate goal of FHWA’s pavement research and development is to provide performance-based models and tools to facilitate effective management of the national highway infrastructure.

...which has entirely the level of excitement and energy one would have expected. Note that they don't even say 'make pavement last longer', 'make it easier to pave streets', any of that. Their goal is to make it easier to 'measure' and 'manage'. And that, not now, but 'ultimately'. With luck, I guess, before the earth cools.

Ah, bureaucrats.

No comments: