Classic Belgian Waffles
* 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
* 1 cup warm water
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup whole milk
* 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
* 2 large eggs, separated
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
* Belgian Chocolate-Fudge Sauce, for serving
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. In a large bowl, stir the flour with the salt. Whisk in the yeast mixture, milk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold them into the batter and let stand for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 225°. Heat and grease a waffle iron. Pour 1 1/4 cups of the batter into the iron and cook until the waffles are golden, 6 minutes. Transfer the waffles to the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Dust the waffles with confectioners’ sugar, drizzle with the Belgian Chocolate-Fudge Sauce and serve.
Belgian Chocolate-Fudge Sauce
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
* 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1. In a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is melted. Add the confectioners’ sugar and whisk until smooth.