Friday, August 22, 2008

Rocky Road

Yesterday was a long day for my daughter (and all of the other kids in Band Camp) -- about thirteen hours worth, even if they did spend about an hour and a half of it at dinner, eating food brought in by the various parents. Today, last day of camp, we went to pick up the girl we've been bringing in and found that she'd decided not to go to camp today. This is a serious contravention of their rules, and guaranteed to torque off the woman who runs the color guard, bringing her ire down on the messenger. And guess who the messenger will be?

I learned that the stint at the polls will be paid (yay -- I get to file an income tax form for this year after all, I'm so glad). Payment is the munificent rate of one hundred fifteen dollars for the day -- which lasts from 6:30 AM to 8 PM. Which puts it somewhere south of what I could make flippin' burgers. Its okay -- I've wanted to do it for some time. It will be another opportunity for me to find out that what looks easy from the outside is not, from the inside. Last night I was at a band booster meeting -- not nearly as contentious as the last one -- and at one point I was listening to the woman who runs it, thinking 'well, heck, I could do that'. And then I thought ' Maybe...but don't bet your socks on it. '

I am really tired today, for some reason. Been a rocky morning. Had to make two round trips to the school. And whenever I think about politics, I get agitated. Maybe I'll take a nap. One of the benefits of being retired.

No comments: