Saturday, August 23, 2008

Early Saturday

Perhaps not that early, but I've always been of the opinion that any hour before noon -- certainly, before ten -- is Way Too Early. What's that line from Good Morning, Vietnam -- 'Its oh six hundred -- what does the Oh stand for? Oh My God Its Early'. Yup.

Of course, what can you expect from a day when it turns out that not only did Barack not call -- dammit, I knew I shouldn't have let that telemarketer hang on the phone, but he was calling all the way from Nigeria, which I think is next to Nebraska or possibly Nepal -- but when he did go to his alternate choice, it was Biden. Biden? Isn't he the guy who became briefly well known for making speeches using phrases that were remarkably similar to those from other people? What in the world is he known for? He ran multiple times for President and never got out of the starting gate -- is this just another way to do that? Oh, okay, he's a 'well known authority, been in government since McCain was a youngster of three hundred and fifty' -- but thats supposed to be a good thing? And Obamabiden doesn't exactly roll off the tongue -- it sounds like a slurred German phrase, or perhaps something you'd overhear in an Alabama bus station - Hey, you wanna hush puppy to take on the bus, there, Leroy? Naw, ahm a biden raht fahn, thankew.

Biden. Humph.

What is it with airlines? Now I hear that they're contemplating not just cutting back severely on food service, but charging, and high, for the pittance they do have. This must be some new weird variant of The foods no good and there isn't enough of it -- something like the foods no good and it costs way too much. I was just amazed when I heard that. I'm not an industry insider -- not that being an insider in anything has ever helped me See The Big Picture -- but I would be very surprised if the airline industry was half the size it is now, come two or three years from now. Either that, or they go to planes with no seats at all (wooden benches for first class), and scales at the entry way where they calculate your fare as you get on. That, and planes aimed at the seriously wealthy. Oh, look, they have actual magazines!

Does make you wonder, though. What other common services are so tightly dependent on one commodity?

Two days till school starts. My daughter is due for a melt down. She always has one, two or three days before. The MD will appear to be about something relatively trivial, but what it will actually be is her saying I can't handle this, I don't know what it'll be like, I want to go back to where I was before. It doesn't last, but it's intense when it does. In theory, today she is cleaning up her room and going with her mother to buy some supplies -- the annual Trek To Staples, I don't understand why this can't happen in July. We'll see how far they get.

No comments: