Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Untitleable Post

This morning, I bought a new coffee maker.

It was actually supposed to be just a new carafe, but my wife suggested looking around, and after striking out in Macys -- they had lots of big Cuisinart ones, and a few tiny ones, neatly bracketing the size we wanted -- I thought to stop in and poke around at Sears, where, it turned out, they had lots of different kinds (I noted in passing that their Cuisinarts were about $5 less than at Macy's), including a Darth-Vader-Black Mr. Coffee with a timer (who cares), automatic shutoff (oh, good), a thermal carafe to keep the coffee warm after the unit shuts off (useful, though we tend to be of the brew-and-gulp-right-away style of coffee drinkers), and the right capacity (excellent). Plus, the price was decent. So, we're happy.

I also picked up two books about cooking from the libe -- one, The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry, about training at Le Cordon Bleu (which I don't ever want to do), and Dolce Italiano: Desserts from the Babbo Kitchen, which I might try a couple of recipes from, sometime, if I'm feeling adventurous. Also, there's a recipe that I have for Pita Bread that I'd like to try -- I found it on the Sugarlaws blog site. The author's a lawyer, but man, does she know how to cook, and to write. And what she writes about is good, but its also reasonable -- ie, not aimed at hyperfoodies who like to use arcane ingredients in strange ways. Very cool. This site, incidentally, is where I found the recipe for soft pretzels that I liked so much, and now it appears that the pita recipe uses the same dough. Outstanding.

Part of me wants to go for another walk. Another part wants to read one of these books. And up in my forebrain, a little gnome is saying Do whatever you want, but first, we're gonna take a little nap....

No comments: