Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Breezy Morning

Waffles again. Once again, the batter rose overnight, and as a direct result, they're getting lighter. Still crisp on the outside, but now lighter on the inside. I like it. May modify that recipe to say 'make half; and make it the day before'. As this is kind of a bread, based on the way that it is rising, I don't want to keep the dough around forever.




I was a little surprised not to get any remarks about my comment regarding Obama's race. I know that its a touchy subject, and that we are no where near being able to handle it casually (I won't say 'rationally'. On my best days, maybe) in conversation. But I did wonder what others thought. I specifically put the comment in there about diction because thats a trigger point. People key to it. Some time ago, I said something to the effect that white people feel easier around him because he doesn't sound prototypically black, and I got gently slapped. I was sorry to have triggered that, but I thought it worth mentioning. I think that for older black politicians, blackness is a major part of what they're selling (at least in public). With Obama, it's not. Of course, I would bet there are people who feel exactly the inverse - that, ceteris paribus, they will trust a person whose blackness informs his personality and his politics more than they will trust a white person of the same personality and politics. These people will be wary of someone who appears to be black but doesn't act in the traditional ways.

I heard the other day that in thirty or forty years, the US will be uch more multiracial. I wonder if we will get to a point where 'pure white', if I can use that descriptor, becomes a liability. I'd bet yes -- and sooner than that, too. I kind of like that idea. I won't say that the era of Old White Guy government is ending, but maybe, just a bit, yes. Both Obama and Clinton can take credit for that.

And now to go on a walk. Its cool.

No comments: