Saturday, March 27, 2010

Waiting With TiVo and the Cat

This is the part that I hate.

It's about 9:30, and I'm starting to think that sleep would be a good idea. Meanwhile, my wife and daughter are at the color guard competition. My wife is coming home around midnight; my daughter will be on the bus, arrived some time between eleven and eleven thirty. She'll call me when the bus is near the school, and I'll go get her. Which means I can't go to sleep unless I'm dressed and ready to go as soon as she calls. Sooner, I think would be her preference.

So I've been downstairs killing time with the cat and TiVo. Cat curled up and went to sleep next to me. I don't know what it is about sitting there, scratching a cats belly, that's so relaxing, but I liked it. She did, too, based on the idea that she didn't react when I started, but opened her eyes when I stopped. Then she stretched, and casually laid her self down right next to me. I know, it's a shared bodily warmth thing.

And I've been watching TV, occasionally recording some for later watching. Sometimes, I think TiVo isn't as smart as they say. Why didn't it know that I would be fascinated with the CSPAN America And The Courts program that had Breyer and Scalia casually tossing barbs at each other about how much you can and should read into the law (I'm surprised that Steven couldn't see that, to me, it's perfectly clear.... Well, Antonin, if I've used a new argument today, perhaps you ought to consider it). I mean, fascinating. Here are these two guys with diametrically opposed views -- doesn't hurt that one looks like an English Lit professor and the other a professional bouncer -- laying out what they think, and why it's so obvious to them. Why didn't TiVo know I'd like that, or at least tell me it was coming? And then about ten minutes of a program about Marines at Parris Island -- I always wonder how much the DIs tone things down for when they're being filmed; certainly, that woman teaching unarmed combat looked lethally competent; even when she was smiling, she was scary. I stopped after 10 minutes. I could never have handled that, I think. And then about an hour of Alaska State Troopers, who are seriously tough of a different nature -- they do surprise drills of their people on back roads in freezing temperatures? Using live ammunition? And then about an hour of a SyFy series called Sanctuary, about which I'd heard but never seen; man, that's good. Why didn't TiVo know I'd like this stuff?

But now I have to go get dressed, and then get some sleep.

No comments: