Sunday, March 28, 2010

Miscellanea

I don't have much truck with Valentine or his day -- but this, I like.

We went to church this morning. It was one of the long Masses, for the start of Holy Week. I recall as a kid asking my mother if Friday was Good Friday, was Thursday Pretty-Good Thursday, Wednesday Fairly-Bland Wednesday, and so forth. She didn't think so. Today, the church was so full -- not normally a problem in our church -- they started to run out of hosts. I got half of one. I told my wife that this meant I got to leave when half the mass was done, and she said No, it's still considered the Body of Christ. I told her Maybe, but it looks like he's gotten shorter. She lost it for a couple of minutes.

I suppose the Catholic Church has been losing it for a while. Its sort of like Bill Clinton having to admit that yes, once again, he couldn't keep it zipped. Yet another major part of the church has disclosed that it's had -- and still has -- a serious problem with priests who are child molesters. And once again, the Pope doesn't feel the need to get out in front of it, make major changes, fire and jail these pedophiles. He likes things just as they are. After all, look where it got him!

Keeping with the status quo is working for other people, too. I see where we're now reporting that Iran probably is working on creating nuclear weapons. They just keep cruising along, doing as they damned well please. It's worked so far, though I imagine that at some point Israel will attack Iran, and we'll keep diplomatically silent about it. And send them more aid.

I was looking casually for a blog that's both conservative and intelligent. Then I realized that such a blog won't tell me why people like Sarah Palin and Glen Beck, which is what I really want to know. Of course, I know I'm expecting too much, looking for that, especially when my view of political strategy is kind of at this level. So I read this, instead. Some of it clearly is 'drinking the Kool-Aid' (this is, after all, a consultant's blog), but some is kind of interesting.

And now it's time for a nap.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

David Frum and Christopher Buckley come to mind for right wing thinkers. I've been searching for something similar; not because I'm right wing (you might have guessed I'm not...) , but simply because I like to read opposing views. Especially if they're intelligently stated! (I liked reading William F. Buckley, for instance. Although his views made me want to throw the book or magazine across the room. Sometimes I failed to control the impulse.)

Mind you, I've also been searching for an intelligent left wing blog. The Daily Kos just ain't it.

Anonymous said...

`It looks like several of us are searching for moderation. appreciate you dropping by and your thoughtful words. It's a journey and we all play what we're dealt. Browsing your blog I think I like your thinking. Take care.

Cerulean Bill said...

I agree about Kos. It's way too willing to accept that anything our side does is good and noble, while their side is always dark and slimy.

Not sure about C Buckley. I tend to think of him as a humour writer of great credentials. Frum, I hadn't heard about. Basically, I am looking for a conservative who can make me think You know, he's got something there..... While by no means a major criteria, a lack of sarcasm would help, too.

Vajra said...

I like DailyKos.com. It's more of an aggregator or newsfeed than a blog. I enjoy browsing the blogs that are featured. Anyway, as Woody Allan said, "I'm a bigot. But for the Left." ;)

Cerulean Bill said...

I enjoy reading Kos, but I don't take it seriously. I think that they would report political news the way the old joke goes about the Olympic event where the Americans took first, and the Russians second -

"RUSSIANS TAKE SECOND PLACE!!!

Americans come in next to last"