Sunday, March 14, 2010

Facebook

FBs been on my mind, this morning. Must be the time change.

First, my daughter asked me last night how to defriend someone -- she'd friended him, and then he started asking some questions, so that she decided she didn't really want to 'know' this guy. Creep, I thought, and walked her through the process (which, though easy, is harder than it ought to be.)

And then I sent a FB note to someone I somewhat-knew from email conversations a while back, just to say Hi. The emails had stopped when she decided that she didn't actually know me well enough to continue. I could understand that, even as I thought at the time Wait, I'm normal, honest!

Um. Yeah. Kind of strange, seeing both sides so close together.

I don't know if this person will respond to my note, but if not? I think I understand why. (But I'm normal! Honest!)

4 comments:

Tabor said...

You might want to go here (instead of reading her whole Ph.D. thesis for some reassurance..http://www.danah.org/papers/FriendsterMySpaceEssay.html> on the safety of social sites.

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't think that social sites are safe. Even beyond the things that kids do which cause me to stare in disbelief, I think that they encourage an casual attitude that isn't really appropriate. I think of that guy, for example, who built the 'Rob This House' site from info found in public places. I myself have three separate email ids -- one for people who know me, one that's linked to from this blog, that I also use for comments on web sites, and one that's the throwaway spam catcher. My daughter knows about this, but I don't think she really understands why I do it.

So if this person doesn't respond -- yeah, I'll be a little sad, since the whole idea was getting in contact with someone who I'd like to know more about (she's a computer graphics person, which is an area that intrigues me, mostly because I don't really understand how it works), but I'll understand why. As I say, I've been on both sides.

Wasn't that a song once?

Tabor said...

I was referring to young people being stalked. According to statistics it is very rare and much like the issue we have with people poisoning Halloween candy. I think if we teach our children to not post anything they don't want on the front pages of a newspaper and to be careful about strangers chances are their networking with friends will not be a bad experience. Sure there are bullies and will be snobs, but they also have that in reality in school.

Cerulean Bill said...

Problem is when they forget how much stuff is visible. I think there ought to be a 'friends, and immediate friends of friends, but no further' option.