Monday, March 29, 2010

MoanDay

That would be my daughter, who's moving quite slowly. She woke up with difficulty, saying that she'd woken up multiple times during the night, and at breakfast she was sneezing and coughing. We agreed that this would be a good day to stay home, especially when she didn't flinch when I said this would mean not going to Karate tonight. She likes going, even though she's now starting to get kicked (lightly) in the stomach. I honestly don't think she's ever conned us into letting her stay at home. Stretched the truth a bit about how she's felt, yes -- the classic I don't feel well enough to go to school; I want to stay home; I'll be downstairs watching television . But far away from a classic Ferris Bueller moment. I hope they never remake that film; the original is pure gold.

I'm thinking I might make bread today. It'll be one of the 'no-knead' ones; as the book I'm reading notes, kneading builds gluten, which forms the structure of the bread, but so does a long - loooooong - autolyse, when you let the bread go sit in a corner for eight to twelve hours, if not more. That's what I'm going to do -- form the dough this afternoon, let it rise for about 18 hours, bake it tomorrow. As it's a glum, overcast day, I imagine it's going to take a lot of time to get a rise out of the dough.

No insights today. Trying not to think that the twinge I feel in my left arm is connected to the implant there or the weather. That's a old guy thing. Even if I do feel older at finding out, last night, that a friend who stopped by on her way back to college is actually in her senior year. But she's just a kid!!! Um, no.

No comments: