Monday, March 15, 2010

Ecospeak

On the way in to Color Guard, NPR had an article about Chinese trade and fiscal policy, mentioning that some people thought the yuan was undervalued. What does that mean, my daughter asked. So I talked with her for five minutes on the valuation of currencies, what punitive tariffs are and why people like them, and how it ties into the idea of global trade. I told her that economics can be deathly dull, but when you tie it back, it's real life.

I had a good time.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Bravo! I know all this stuff, but having to talk to my kid on the spur of the moment might not have produced anything intelligent.

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, heck, I'm sure that a real economist would have done much better. I'm just trying to encourage her to think about things, to see linkages, to see grey areas.