Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stoved In

My wife and I looked over kitchen equipment this evening.

I had been at Lowe's the other day, and took some time to look at things. We're thinking of replacing the refrigerator -- it's about twenty-four years old, which apparently is old, so my wife wants to replace it. I've said that I wouldn't mind one without the freezer on top (the freezer on side is nice; don't know if we have the space for it, though). I definitely don't want one with water access from the front -- we don't tend to drink water or dispense ice cubes from there. In fact, I wouldn't even really want an ice-cube maker -- what, ice cube trays aren't good? -- but I may get overruled on that.

But while we were looking, we came up with an idea that makes a lot of sense, we think, and that we've never seen anywhere. Power-lift ovens.

There are units that contain one small oven and one moderately large one. It gives a certain amount of flexibility, and if you're only heating one, you're (presumably) using less heat than if you were heating a larger one. I don't particularly care, though I do sort-of like the dual idea. My wife pointed out, though, that with one of the ovens effectively at floor level, you have to bend way down to get stuff out-- which would be a pain no matter what, and if you were cooking something big, like a turkey, would be an especial pain. Our thought: a power lift tray for the lowest oven. Open the door, hit the button, and the rack slides out and up.

Take care of that, will you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Our fridge has the freezer on the bottom, and it's definitely better. And our oven is one of those dual-level things - it's great!

It does use less energy, and it's much quicker to preheat. Most of our day to day cooking is done in the top oven; the lower one is kept for big stuff, like turkeys. And yes, it's a nuisance for the Mrs. (She cooks. I barely know which end of the stove the saucepan goes on...)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

You don't find it a pain to have to lift/shift things down in the freezer to get to them? Perhaps I'm just sensitive to that because I don't bend so well...