Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dicky

When I was in high school, I bought what was called 'a dicky'. I put it that way because I have no idea what they're called now, or even if they're still sold. It was, essentially, the top of a soft wool turtleneck -- from about three inches into the 'shirt' part, and up. I got it because I was under the impression that wearing one would render me hip, slick, and totally desirable. I didn't yet understand the concept of a 'lost cause'.

Last night, we were going to go out for a walk when I mentioned to my wife that I hoped it wouldn't be windy. The temperature was cool, but not bad, unless the wind whipped up. I didn't want to layer up or wear a scarf, because it wasn't all that cold, otherwise. What I need, I said, is something that's light and protects my neck, without being particularly bulky. Do you still have that dicky? she asked. I gave her a blank look. I have no idea, I replied, and then went off to finish getting dressed. When I came back, she had it, and I put it on. Throughout the whole walk, I was amazed at how warm it kept my neck. I mentioned more than once how glad I was that she'd thought of it.

And I think I look cool, too.

No comments: