Saturday, March 07, 2009

Night Thoughts

It has happened that I've been able to get to sleep without my wife being here, but the smart money bets that I won't. Which is why I'm writing this instead of trying to get to sleep. Though when I do, you can bet I will have both the whole house fan and the room ceiling fan on. I like the sense of moving air at night. One thing I've never understood is how to reconcile that with the fact that I like the covers up high, and fairly weighty, too. It's a psychological comfort thing, I'm sure, but still: many's the time I've laid there, thinking I'm hot, but kept them high anyway. When I was a kid, I could fall asleep with just a sheet, and now, if I take a nap, I can just lie down and drift off, no covers at all. But at night? Gotta have the blanket. Weird.

I've decided that The Economist is not playing fair with me. I'm not renewing it, or Fine Homebuilding, because I want to save the money. Its not a lot -- well, I guess it is, compared to other magazines; about $100 a year for TE, and about a third of that (I think) for FH -- but just that I want to do whatever I can to pare our expenses. I've even found menus that don't involve meat, because it's a little less expensive not to use that. We're not trimming a lot, but it does seem to be having an effect -- our per-month spending (I track it all, from credit cards to ATM withdrawals to checks) is down about 10% over the last three months, which is nice. So I don't want to renew it. Then the most current issue arrives (it expires end of this month), and I'm reading it, thinking Oh, that's interesting, and I didn't know that... just exactly the kind of thing that I like that magazine for, and which it regularly provides. So, no fair!

A person with whom I occasionally trade notes on Twitter (I'm not a big user) mentioned today that her avatar isn't actually her; its a picture from, I guess, a movie. I was surprised, because it surely does look like a picture, and a nice one, too. Finding out that this isn't actually what she looks like is somehow unsettling. Not in a terrible way -- heck, I barely know this person -- but just that I had built up an image in my mind - This is what Vajra looks like, these are the kinds of things she says - and then I find out part of that isn't true. I recall, some time ago, that a woman used to comment occasionally on this blog, and her own blog had a picture of a fairly young and attractive woman, so 'that was her'. Come to find out that that wasn't her, any more; it was a few years (perhaps more) out of date. Okay, I admit, there was a certain amount of egotism here -- gee, I can write something that an attractive woman finds interesting - so that when I found out she wasn't that person any more, I was dismayed -- but still, why should it have mattered? Am I that shallow? (Do you really want an answer?) Not any more, though. Well....not much.

And thats it for now. They should be home.... soon.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The funny thing is... I was thinking of not renewing The Economist and Fine Homebuilding, too! The cost is the biggest factor - we just don't have enough coming in as it is.

(What I want to know is: why did this month's FH arrive after I'd corrected the problem with the door...) :-)

Great minds think alike, or something like that! :-D
Carolyn Ann

Wendster said...

The photo on my blog is actually age PROGRESSED. I am really five. But five year olds aren't allowed to do too many things ... hence the age progression. smirk.

Great post about blankets. I remember that I would drift off when I was a little girl on the sofa after an owie or some such fare, and many times I'd just wake up with the blanket on ... but sometimes I'd feel the blanket begin to cover me from my feet (heading for my shoulders, like Mom always did) and I'd concentrate hard on playing possum for a moment so I wouldn't startle mom and interfere with the wonderful snuggly moment.

Loved those moments. Blankies from Mom say "I love you."

Wendster said...

Thanks for leaving a comment and your e mail address ... Just used your comment to click on over here to you and get your blog address again ... added you to my favorites list on my blog roll ... couldn't find your blog when I was updating it last week.

And I certainly DO love reading your posts. Very insightful and thought provoking. .. also full of "truths" ... little life truths like that blanket thing.

Love those.

Tabor said...

I started with a recent photo when I first started my blog...but I blurred it for intrigue and to keep anonymous. My new photo shows so little of me.

Cerulean Bill said...

CA, the funny thing about FH is, I'm not a builder, or much of a handyman at all. I like to say that I have an omnipurpose tool that can fix anything; it's called a checkbook. I just like reading FH because the image of competence really appeals to me. With just a soupcon of house lust.

W, you're going to have to stop saying nice things like that. People will think I'm paying you. Oh, and the check's in the mail.

Age-progessed, huh? I like that. Makes me think of the kid in, what was it, Enders Game?, writing the political columns. Yeah. Smart is good. Just make sure you don't have a painting aging somewhere in a dark closet.

T, I was (and am) quite taken by your photo. I am not one for mysterious photographs, but that one catches my eye. Not sure why. I recall, years ago, that I wanted to have checks printed, and the image I wanted was a dark background (lighter, obviously, for where you would write), with little stars and nebula -- and way down in the corner, just leaving the frame, something that could have been the last third of the -- wait, is that the Starship Enterprise??? Yup. Sometimes, mystery is good.