Friday, March 13, 2009

Acceptance

Echoing The Donald (no, the other one): There are things I can accept, and do; there are things I can't accept, and don't; and there are things that I do accept, but don't understand. Fortunately for me, I'm not a deep thinker; I don't have to understand something to accept it. It helps a lot if I like the person involved. (Isn't that the logic the Republicans used when decided what was ethical? Hmm....)

The other night, we were watching a current (current? I guess) episode of Boston Legal. One of the defendants was saying that he really didn't mean anything by his affection -- capital A no kidding Affection -- for cows; beastiality was just part of his nature. I turned to my wife and said that since she had this thing about dating while married (she says it like its a bad thing), perhaps I ought to consider -- Don't even JOKE about that, she replied quickly. I grinned. Not in twelve zillion years, kiddo. There are things that people do that I just don't get, but I could understand all of them and still not get that one. Perhaps that just marks me as basically a hick, but there are things that I just...don't...get. Likely, never will.

Though, I said wistfully, I do miss having the dairy farm next door.... I then had to duck!

No comments: