Saturday, March 21, 2009

Payback

Well, I'm not exactly sure that it was intended as payback for giving her grief this morning, but that was the effect.

On the way over to pick up the other girl for color guard, I told my daughter that I'd spoken with her instructor to get info about the place she works in the summer, where my daughter wants to work. Find out what it was like, what she'd need, that kind of thing. She did not, shall we say, take it well. This is my life, you're always messing in it, I can take care of it myself.

Did I think of pointing out that I was driving her at the time? Yes.
Did I think of pointing out her tendency to wait to the last minute, and then blame us, God, and the mailman if she can't get what she wants? Yes.
Did I consider pointing out that if she didn't work this summer, she'd be surely doing work around the house, and not for much money, either? You betcha.

Did I do any of those things? Sigh. No, I did not. I spoke quietly, and calmly. Okay, you handle it, I'll let her know that we won't need to get together.

Then neither of us spoke for the remainder of the drive.

No comments: