Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Four Things I Want. No, Five.

Recovery options in Blogger, in particular their Autosave, suck. I think if there was one thing that would drive me to a different platform, that would be it. Speaking as someone who has once again lost most of a post because something I was typing got interpreted as Select All/ Delete/ Save!!! I wish I could just turn that stupid option off.

Today was Christmas for my daughter -- she is now the prime owner of a shiny new Dell Inspiron 1525 widescreen laptop. We promised her one for highschool, and this week, the old one essentially gave up the ghost. I spent the last hour configuring the new one -- thinking wistfully of the article I read today which said, essentially, yes, Apple's cost more -- but look what you get for it. It just works. I don't have current familiarity with a Mac, but seeing the Vista layout -- they really don't want you messing with the innards -- I think that their designers know exactly what a Mac looks like. To be fair, they did some things well -- and others, not too terribly well. Would it kill you guys to have user-customizable program menus? I keep saying next one's a Mac...

Tomorrow I see the oral surgeon again. He'll be taking out the emergency stitches he put in yesterday ( he didn't call it an emergency, but his nurse's eyes widened when she saw how much blood flowed from my mouth when I pulled out the most recent blood-soaked pack of gauze). He'll also be carving holes into my temporary upper plate so that it will fit around the four implants with abutments, and over the two that are just the implant. I hope this will mean I can eat with the damn thing. It seems like every time we reach a stage in this process, there's A Problem, and I lose whatever I was just able to do, for a while. For the last seven months, I could eat most things -- no hotdogs, nothing that required serious chewing, but just about anything else -- I wasn't supposed to eat with the thing in (here's something they don't tell you up front: when a dentist says 'you'll be able to use that temporary plate, ask if you can EAT with it. Odds are, the answer will be Oh, No.) but with it out, I could. Now, with four posts sticking out of my gum, I can't do either one. Dammit, I just want this the hell done.

I see where Bush is taking senior appointees and turning them into senior Civil Servants -- which means they can't be fired. Bastard. I think they all ought to become parking lot attendants and coffee-cart pushers.
Oh, do I want him and his scurvy crew gone.

And Lieberman, too. That worm.


3 comments:

Tabor said...

This senior employees to civil servants has been around for quite a while. I had to work under some of this idiots who were related to someone in the Senate or elsewhere and they were usually good PR guys but totally useless for anything else.

Cerulean Bill said...

I was surprised to learn that. I still have the image of civil servants as being isolated from politics. Guess my view is seriously out of date. Similarly, I was surprised to learn that presidents have been cramming things into their last sixty days for several decades. Clay feet all over the place.

STAG said...

Good luck with the posts. I only got one, and there were plenty of "problems". Not the least of which was that the bone they inserted into my jaw decided to migrate sideways. I joked that it must have come from a gypsey cadaver, but they didn't laugh. I figured as long as it was a gypsey, maybe it would respond to fiddle music and massage. One or the other convinced it to stay place, put down roots and settle in. Now a couple of years later, we have come to an agreement....as long as I play fiddle music and massage the area with a sonic tooth brush every day, there will be no problems.