Thursday, November 20, 2008

DaNooz

I'm starting to feel as if reading the news is just an exercise in depression.

If its not people expressing alarm that a terrorist called our President-elect a dirty name, its the financial market saying Thats not enough, we need more, and faster, too. And the automakers, too, and their own chorus of Too Big To Fail! Too Big To Fail! If its not pirates hijacking oil tankers, its other countries being unhappy with something we did or didn't do, or did but didn't do enough of, or did but not fast enough, or too fast. You know: just generally unhappy with us. And then there's the recurring article about the astronaut who lost a tool bag -- guess the idea of tie it with a cord or something hasn't made it to the checklists yet.

None of this makes me happier. I'd love to hear more about what Obama's up to, but the determined will she won't she can she should she about Hillary and Secretary of Statehood -- that gives me nothing. Heck, I could offer opinions, too, and they'd be worth about as much.

So I think that, for a while, I'm swearing off the news. Hope this doesn't distress anyone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good call, everyone needs a break. One of the reasons I stopped watching local news was it was too darn depressing and didn't really do much to actually inform me.
Sometimes national news is like that and there are a bunch of chicken littles running around talking about how the sky is falling.
I don't pretend to be an optimist, but sometimes you want to hear different kinds of news.

Cerulean Bill said...

I think you (us, collectively) want to hear positive news (not speculation) about things that could affect us. Well, heck, right there goes 80% of CNN's news cycle. And when you pare it down to things that are LIKELY to affect you, and then further to Things You Can Do Something About -- well, you end up with a small list, indeed.