Friday, November 07, 2008

...and the results are in.

After a first interim report card where my daughter got a C in one course, and a second where she got a very low B, she managed to squeak by and get Second Honors for the actual marking period. And when I say squeak by, I mean it -- two As, and three B's that were at the absolute bottom for a B - one point less and they'd have been Cs. So, she still needs to improve. But she did do it, when I feared she wouldn't, and that pleases me. I know she was nervous about it, and I know I contributed to that nervousness.

I don't like scaring her, but I don't know what else to do. It seems to me (still) that in our schools, the kids and the parents are basically on their own to figure out what works, and what doesn't. Okay, all kids are different. But still. Why do you have to figure this stuff out (when you can) for yourself? Why aren't the 'guidance' counselors offering sage, time-tested advice based on their experience and knowledge of the school environment?

Bueller? Bueller?

No comments: