Friday, November 14, 2008

Comments

I think we leave comments to articles we care about to say 'I agree', or 'here is something you forgot', or 'I disagree, and this is why'. Sometimes, its just to say 'I was here', and sometimes, its to say something thats irrelevant to the topic but relevant in your own eyes.

I wish you could filter comments -- don't show me ones that have a high percentage of words like pitiful, failed, lame. And 'fucking'. That really doesn't add anything, guys. Or let me tag comments as 'don't show', with software to do a neural-net analysis of the post, and scrubbing ones that look a lot like it. Though I'd think that every so often it should show them anyway -- maybe a (64 similar comments) trailer after the first one?

Most personal sites, including this one, aren't able to be consistently interesting, let alone, worthy of comments.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why do I get the feeling that there's something else behind this?

The "hooya!" comment isn't terribly informed, but it is popular. It's also a way for people to acknowledge they liked something; although it is irritable to read it.

For some reason, I equate a plethora of "oh yeah" comments to a lack of effort. It always reminds me of when I circulated a draft of a memo describing an important strategy, asking for comments, critiques and so on - and I got suggestions about spelling (they were wrong), grammar (ditto) and how I should structure the cover page. Not a single comment on the content; I actually did wonder if anyone had read the thing!

Ah well, I know a few blogs that get a lot of those "wow you're cool" comments. It doesn't, in my opinion, elevate the blogger. if anything it should depress the blogger: how can they be right, so often? No one is that! (Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity notwithstanding, of course... He says, tongue firmly planted in cheek!)

Yeah Bill! :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

No, nothing really behind it. Just thinking about why we do it, knowing that most people won't read it -- and yet, there has to be information there, even if its just a 'sense' of what people think.Thinking -- daydreaming, really -- of programmatic solutions. Like I have a CLUE!!!