Thursday, November 06, 2008

Baking and Reading and Thinking, Oh My

Some stray items:

Now I can get back to baking. First up: to try some of the recipes in the American Pie book. And some cookies.  Also, I can get back to reading -- both light reading and some heavy things.  Its been a while for the first and way too long for the second. How can I think of my self as smart if I'm not even trying?

I don't understand why Prop 8 passed in California.  I might understand it in a more conservative state, but California? What it suggests is that support for that issue isn't as widespread there as I thought (as distinct from 'they got their supporters out, we did not'), and that surprises me. There's certainly some hostility about it.

Reading some of the Newseum's archived front pages for the day after the election -- for example, this one  - is an enlightening experience.  That particular page is for an Alabama paper; Alabama went for McCain by 60%.  That's got to be a paradigm shift there.  I also notice that papers from conservative areas tend to refer to him as the first black president, while liberal areas tend to refer to him as the first African-American president.  I like the former designation -- the hyphen always makes me a bit edgy, makes me feel like you're saying you aren't so much an American as a subset, with divided loyalties -- but I gather I may be on the minority on that.

7 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

I am looking forward to getting back into some baking and reading again myself. Although really, the holidays from Thanksgiving to New Years are a pretty busy and rushing time in my family, so I could just be fooling myself in thinking that I have any relax time coming up :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Baking can be relaxing, though....

STAG said...

Me...I'm roasting pumpkin seeds.

Lone Chatelaine said...

Mmmmm! Roasted pumpkin seeds! :)

Cerulean Bill said...

You pipple is crazy. Roasted pumpkin seeds? Don't you know this means you have the possibility of growing a pumpkin inside you? Its true! I knew a woman, used to eat those things, and next time I saw her, she had this pumpkin-shape stickin out where her stomach was!

Lone Chatelaine said...

Watermelons do that too! I saw a woman carrying a watermelon once.

Or at least that's what my momma said it looked like.

Cerulean Bill said...

Any fruit with seeds can have that effect, according to, I think, the National Enquirer. And don't get me started on the people smuggling cantaloupes!