Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pre-TDay

Things have been a little on the chaotic side, but not too bad.

We're having a simple Thanksgiving dinner -- some things to make me happy, some to make my wife happy, and some things to make my daughter happy. Fortunately, those three groupings are not completely exclusive. We're going to have my mother come upstairs for the meal, so that she can eat in the dining room; she's been very reluctant to travel the stairs as she's become more frail, but we're going to make it (relatively) easy by having someone walk up and down stairs with her, and by putting a chair on the landing so that she can rest for several minutes in each direction. It should be okay.

The plan for Friday had been to hang around until mid-day, so that my wife would be off call, and then sprint up to her mother's house, staying there overnight. When she heard this, my daughter went absolutely bonkers, since for some reason she really, really wants to see that grandmother (or possibly that grandmother's new television, not sure which). She was therefore less than delighted to learn that my wife had misread the calendar, and she is actually on call for two days... and working on Saturday night, so we couldn't go up then, either. Therefore, being somewhat of a wimp, father-wise, I offered to bring her up and back myself. I don't expect the drive to be too much of a bother, so long as we don't get any slimy weather. I-81 over the mountains is absolutely no fun in snow, or fog, or even heavy rain. It doesn't slow down the truckers, either, who take it as a personal affront if they have to shift gears from one hilltop crest to the next.

Went to sent the oral surgeon, who was surprised to learn that one of the implant posts is making a quite determined little gouge in the topside of the dental appliance I've been wearing. Well, he said, I know you don't want to hear this, but I think that its time to extract the tooth on the bottom -- that's pressing pretty firmly against the appliance, and .... but actually, it was okay, because I've been expecting it for quite some time. (I think this attitude is part of why he keeps saying I'm a Good Patient. Could also be another manifestation of my essential wimpiness, doing whatever he says without complaint.) So, in about a week, out it comes, and maybe the one next to it, too. I am not sure what will replace it, but I'm betting some kind of non-implant work. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of how long this implant stuff is taking. This morning, he said it'd be fairly quick to check out the new implants he just did...and then not ten minutes later he said 'about six months' -- which doesn't fit my definition of 'fairly quick', any way you look at it. Then again, doing some quick reading, it appears that implants are considered more stable in the lower jaw than appliances. Oh, great.

And we got the fake tree up, in the kitchen nook. I found it quite cheering, last year, to come into the darkened kitchen and see it glowing in the corner. Stop by, why don't you? You might enjoy it, too.

Oh, and we went to see the new Bond flick. Not at all bad. Hard to hear the dialogue, sometimes, but certainly a fast moving action flick. I liked it.

2 comments:

STAG said...

Oh, I hear ya man.....about implants taking a lot of time. I was surprised that mine didn't set properly for nearly two years after it all started. And they were nervous the whole time....getting me into the chair once a month, feeling the gums, tsk tsking, and trying to prepare me for the possilility that is was going to have to be undone.

It all worked out in the end though. Still have some problems with regards to the nerves....they are pinched down there...gives me an earache when I hit the tooth with ice. Go figure.

Cerulean Bill said...

Its not nearly as clean cut once they've actually DONE it as they made it sound when they proposed it, is it?