Sunday, November 23, 2008

Readings

Reading is a little bit unsettling, today.

It started with the thermometer, which read about 28 degrees. It'll get colder, but 28? Thats late December, early January temperatures. I bundled up going out, which was fine for while we were in the car, but then in church, I got almost dizzy from the warmth. They need coat hooks.

Then the reading of the homily was very depressing -- about a child, lying in the dirt of a destroyed village, whimpering in pain, trying to crawl for food, surrounded by dead and dying villagers. It ended well, but the imagery, coupled with the warmth -- shaky.

After we got home, I read the Sunday Post, where I read about a woman who's a third year medical student, who supports the 'right to choose'. She's not sure she'd be willing to perform abortions, though. At first I thought 'well, what kind of belief is that? If you support it, you should do them' -- and then I thought about the concepts that I support where I don't actually do anything to support them. More uncomfortable feelings.

And finally, an article about a decommissioned Minuteman Launch Control Center in North Dakota, much like the one I used to work in, with this phrase " The floor on which you stand, gazing at the desks full of ancient electronics...." and I think Well, it was old stuff, even when we used it -- but ancient? Gag me with a .... cane.

Maybe I ought to just quit reading for a while, hmmm?

4 comments:

genderist said...

It's just a sign to find different reading material. :)

Or a good football game!

Cerulean Bill said...

Both are true. I wish that I could get into football, even a little bit. There are times I almost get it, like those damn 3D video 'defocus your eyes' puzzles.

As for the other, I'm now reading an article about the worth (both financial and societal) of Nix check cashing centers, from last week's Times magazine. It's pretty interesting, actually. It makes some interesting points.

Unknown said...

If being qualified to do an action were a requirement of supporting it - we'd either be sorry lot, or somewhat dead.

I support a woman's right to an abortion - but I'd be lost trying to perform such a procedure. I'd be a danger, in fact. I support a national right to defend itself - but firing a nuclear weapon? I'm quite sure I'm not trained for that! (I never did 100% agree with CND, although I did applaud their goals. I just didn't agree with their naivety.)

Support is just that, doing is something else. :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

The 'doing' doesn't have to be directly involved in the thing being supported. I can a) intellectually think that microfinance is a good idea, b) write letters to the editor in support of the concept, c) go talk to bankers to urge their support, or d) actually loan out my own money. Only the last one is the act itself; only the first is just thinking 'gosh, that would be nice'.

As for the nukes, its easy. Or at least it used to be.