Thursday, November 20, 2008

Passwords

When I configured my daughter's new PC, I told her that I had created two IDs on it -- mine and hers -- as administrators. I said that the PC was her responsibility, and that I would not maintain it -- this id was just for me to use in configuring it, and once that was done, she could do what she wanted with it.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to look at the Cybersitter product, which isn't blocking anything but is doing logging of her activities. I didn't find it. Thats odd, I thought, but what the heck -- I ran the install again, and this time I remembered to put a password on the signon screen. This morning, I went to fix a problem she'd had yesterday -- and my ID wasn't on the PC any more. Hmm....okay, thats fine with me. I told her that its her PC, and that if there are problems, she gets to fix them. I won't be able to because she deleted my ID, and likely I won't want to, for the same reason.

I didn't tell her that I know another way to get in. Let it be a learning experience for her.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Hey Bill,

I would have preferred to send an email to follow-up on your comment at What I See Out My Window, but it came Noreply Blogger and there's no email link in your profile.

It was a pleasure to see this as your first post. I think the way you're approaching this situation is perfect.

Good to give them a learning opportunity which, depending on how they handle it, can also be enough rope to have themself.

My three-year blogiversary carnival comes up this weekend. If you have a chance to get an entry in today, or even tomorrow, I'll be happy to add you. Yes, even though the deadline was two days ago.

If you ever decide to add link swaps to your sidebar I hope you'll keep me in mind for either What I See Out My Window or my main blog The Lives and Times....

Finally, I'm curious what part of Pennsylvania you're in since I'm a native of Fayette County and went to college, among other places, in Pittsburgh.

Look forward to hear back from you.