Sunday, November 30, 2008

Aged to Perfection?

Some different thoughts on various things.

An article in the Post says that a local religious leader tried to assuage the grief of friends and relatives of a woman who'd been stabbed to death by a vicious former boyfriend by saying that she "didn't suffer". I find that hard to believe. But what can you say in such circumstances? A second article says that military officers are guardedly optimistic about being able to work with Obama, who's said that he will ask for their opinions even when he might not take their advice. I am glad about that. The article said that when Clinton came into office, he immediately got into a tussle with them over the question of gays in the military, and that the military viewed him with 'scarcely veiled contempt as a draft dodger'. I can understand that -- I remember how I viewed people like that, back then. And I see where some Republicans are saying that Bobby Jindal's the guy to lead them out of the desert. Nothing like a rush to judgement, is there?

I'd love to hear Obama's thoughts on the Mumbai massacre. Not the event itself, but its origins and what can be done to prevent -- or at least make less likely -- a recurrence. Because you know, as sure as politicians are looking for lobbyist money, there are people looking to do it again.

My daughter came out into the living room a bit ago with a big smile and said 'Are you baking cookies?' No, I said, no plans to, either. "Well, wouldn't you like to bake some cookies?" After a moment's thought, I agreed, and twenty minutes later she literally not only skipped into the kitchen, thanking me profusely, but went over to her mother, held up the cookies she'd grabbed, and said 'Did you know I love Dad a whole lot?' Wow. The power of still-warm dark and white chocolate cookies, in action.

No comments: