Saturday, November 15, 2008

Loneliness

I've been enlarging the scope of the sites that I look at with the StumbleUpon tool. One that I just found is Vervephoto. This is one of the photographs on that site, and part of its caption.

Chad Stevens

“For my final project as an undergraduate photojournalism student, I worked on a photo essay on loneliness, trying to define it, see it, and, in the end, feel it.... Victoria, a resident of a nursing home in rural Kentucky, found the cure to her loneliness in a child’s doll. In this moment I saw the parallels of the beginning of life and the end of life, between death and birth.”

Seeing Victoria, I thought of the little girl she once was, and I felt sad. I wanted to do something for her.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a moving photo. I thought the same thing you did.

Cerulean Bill said...

Didn't help that Victoria is part of my daughter's name....

Tabor said...

Actually this is not unusual in nursing homes to see people with dolls or stuffed animals for comfort. I think is is wonderful that it gives them peace at the end of their days. We return to the innocence of being a baby.

Cerulean Bill said...

They've certainly earned it.