Thursday, October 30, 2008

Candy

Every year, I do penance for our first Hallowe'en in this house, about two weeks after we were married, when we didn't know that it was scheduled, and for our second one, when we ran out of candy. Every year, I buy a little too much. This year, I bought a lot too much.... and we had three visitors. A teenage girl and her sister, from down the block, and a little girl and her parents, from across the street. And the woman who's husband is having some legal trouble, and her son. The girls were happy and cheerful; the little girl was way beyond the legal limit of cute, and the son -- well, he looked really good, made up as Indiana Jones, but you got the clear feeling that he really didn't want to be doing any of this.

But that was it.

My wife says we should freeze the candy. I'm thinking: hide it, keep it for the January party (January? Just around the corner...), and then pitch it. But not at someone: that tonnage could inflict serious pain.

Next year, one Hershey bar per kid.... I'll buy a six pack, and have some left over.

2 comments:

Cerulean Bill said...

I once had a parent say "You tell your kid to watch out for strangers and don't take candy from them...but one night a year, its okay?"

Anonymous said...

really I like all the candy being left over thanks dad ;)