Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Creating Wealth

I have mentioned on occasion that it never, never, hardly ever occurs to me how to make money. I'm just no good at that. A few minutes ago, I read the following from the NRO site, and I thought, as Obama said at that luncheon, you can DO that?

When I first got to college, back in the last few weeks of the Seventies, I finally got a chance to see an ordinary game of Dungeons and Dragons. My immediate inclination was to play as a Paladin: the pinnacle of Lawful Good, a character required to dash in and fight overwhelmingly powerful evil forces anywhere and at whatever odds. These contests were short, depressing and hilarious, but all D&D really came down to in the end was slaying small monsters, taking their gold, buying slightly better gear and then slaying slightly larger monsters. Why not just save some time and become a Vorpal Sword distributor? Then you get the weapons and the gold, and people bring them both to you. And so a larval conservative was born. And I never played again.

That's the difference, I think. Never would have occurred to me -- and I still wonder how to invoke it.

No comments: