Friday, October 10, 2008

Observation

My daughter has too many clothes.

Fathers have likely been saying that since the first one (Another leopard skin?) lo these many years . I know that part of it is that there are lots of different kinds of clothes (there is no male equivilent of a skort, so far as I know, and guys don't have an equivilent of a little black dress, or strappy shoes, or....). But - three bathrobes? Two of which I didn't know she had? Four T shirts with the color guard logo? Black satin -- shorts, I think; I couldn't really tell because they didn't seem to want to fold in any recognizable pattern. Two hoodies? (That's out; three more on the hooks). On and on and on. And, they're all over the place. We've done the usual fulminations about put those clothes away!, but now its getting really bad in her room. This morning, I kid you not, I found: the outer box from a bag of frozen corn. That, I can actually explain -- she was using it as a malleable ice pack -- but why was the box on the floor? Well, possibly because it was under a layer of clothes...some books...stray papers...a hair straightener (Your hair looks nice today...Yeah, Dad, its called straightening your hair.) and a hair dryer, the left sandal of two different sets....

Too many clothes.

No comments: