Thursday, October 23, 2008

Campaign Money

I'm a little puzzled by the Obama campaign's attitude toward money.

Apparently, they've raised a gihugic amount, last month, and would like to have raised even more, this month. They've got so much that some people have joked they have a money problem: where to spend it all. I gather that it isn't infinite, or they'd have stayed in North Dakota, but still, its a pretty massive number, and easily outweighs what the McCain campaign has. They want to be able to make life difficult for McCain everyplace where they have even a chance of winning, so he and they cannot take anything for granted. That seems to be working, but its not a knockout.

So they'd like more money. In fact, I got an email saying that they'd noticed there is a gap between the magical $2,300 max that you can give to the campaign (you can give more, but it goes to the national commitment to spend as they see fit) and what I have given, and wouldn't I like to address that? I was startled. Don't you guys realize that this is ten times what I've given in the past? Well, no, they probably don't, but even if they did, so what, they'd likely say. That was then, this is now. I think I'd feel differently if they said they would return what they didn't use, but somehow I can't ever see that happening.

Course, when I look at poll numbers, which are now hovering in the mid 330s (the lowest I see consistently is 264, the highest, about 370), I twitch a bit, and I think well, maybe I could squeeze out a couple bucks more...but not the amount they'd like. For that much, I not only want Barack and Michelle over for dinner, I want them to hang around and help with the dishes afterward. And none of this pawning the work off on the help, or the Secret Service, as McCain likes to do. Okay, I'm guessing about that one -- but it does seem likely.

I guess I'll give them a bit more. Because, seriously, the alternative is just so much worse.

4 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

"I got an email saying that they'd noticed there is a gap between the magical $2,300 max that you can give to the campaign and what I have given, and wouldn't I like to address that?"

If any campaign sent me communication with that type of question or wording in it, I'd be furious, especially if it had the kind of money the Obama campaign has, and even if it was my beloved Ronald Reagan come back to life.

Cerulean Bill said...

Yeah, I kind of agree with that. Its nice to be flush, but still, guys... I've noticed that their emails now also say something like 'thanks for all that you're doing', which is pretty impersonal, but better than nothing.

I'm holding firm on the dishwashing, though.

Unknown said...

It was probably the locals. we've donated (well, the Mrs has) to the national campaign, and all we get is phone calls. Not robocalls, fortunately!

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

Likely so. After awhile, they blur together.