Thursday, July 31, 2008

Me Hearties

I wonder if pirates ever actually said that?

I was just reading an article from the LA Times blogs about the extraordinary steps that Warner Brothers took to keep The Dark Knight from being pirated - which apparently didn't mean keeping it from being pirated forever, but simply delaying it by about thirty-six hours. They did this because they feel that piracy cuts into opening day revenues, and allows pre-release slamming of the movie, thus further cutting down revenues. (I suppose it could also increase revenues, as people speak highly of the movie, but the article didn't mention that.) What got my attention, though was a couple of comments in the responses --

LOL, I aint dumping $40+ to take my kid to see some stupid movie. It'll show up online sooner or later! LOL, they always do.

and

I'm sorry, piracy has ZERO effect on how well a movie does on opening weekend. It probably has 7% effect or so on a movies lifetime in a theater and *that's* for movies that suck...look at the demographic of those the pirate for christ sake.

Ah, literacy. (Of course, this level of dialogue would never occur in political discourse...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I read comments on amazon or other places like that for amusement. Really I don't know whether to laugh or cry haha.

Cerulean Bill said...

I know (reluctantly) that I am nowhere near a paragon of virtue when it comes to commentary. But these guys make me look like William Buckley.