Thursday, July 17, 2008

Doughboy

Okay, tomorrow I'm going to Figure It Out. Or at least make a valiant effort.

I am going to make one large batch of dough, and separate it into six small batches. Prior to making the dough, the yeast will be tested with the 'warm sugared water' test. One batch will be placed in each of these locations:

In a greased bowl in the oven with the oven light on.
In a greased bowl covered with a damp towel in the oven with the oven light on.
In a greased bowl in the oven that's been heated and turned off.
In a greased bowl covered with a damp towel in the oven that's been heated and turned off
In a greased bowl in the microwave.
In a greased bowl covered with a damp towel in the microwave.

They will be allowed to rise for two hours. And then we gonna see if any of them have doubled in size. And if this doesn't work, we'll try something else.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

omg...I'll be watching to see how this turns out :)

Cerulean Bill said...

I will post it. I am really tired of not being able to count on this working. This afternoon I started to make a really simple recipe for soft pretzels, and it totally didn't rise at all. I think I'm skipping or not understanding the significance of something -- like, the reason for the 'damp kitchen towel' is to maintain a humid environment, and (something I read today) a heated (but off) oven might not be good because its a dry, not moist heat. Tomorrow when I go to the store, I'm buying a package of cheap flour, just to test this out.