Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Cupcakes

I like cupcakes. Not the incredibly ornate Louis XVI Versailles specials that people in cupcake stores make, but simple ones. They should be about two to three - no more - mouthfuls, with a simple frosting -- and the frosting is optional. The texture should be soft but not crumbly.

There's just one thing. I can't do it. I have made cupcakes, but they never seem right to me. Part of it is that the process of pouring them into cupcake containers seems weird to me, and fraught with peril. I use paper cupcake sleeves, and that seems wasteful -- just to hold the cake, and then immediately throw away? How American. But if I don't, then I have to spray the hell out of the cups to make sure they'll come out, later. And it also irritates the hell out of me when I spill the batter between cups -- and I always do.

But thats just the mechanics of it. More important, they a) aren't big enough, and b) don't taste right. I can't quantify that. They taste ok... just not right. I think I want their flavor to be richer, deeper... tastier.

I'll keep trying. Someday, maybe, I'll be as good as Joy the Baker. Bill the Baker? Can he bake it? Yes, he -- well, hang on a sec.....

6 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

I like big cupcakes too. I always overfill the cups. Most recipes say to fill them half full, but I do three quarters full. I do use the paper cups, though. It is kind of wasteful, but then at least it's biodegradable. But they help good with keeping things smooth.

I spill between the cups too. I'm not good enough at baking yet to not be messy.

I find the frosting is what makes the cake, though. That's where most of the flavor is.

Cerulean Bill said...

I will sometimes put the batter into a large Pyrex cup and pour it, which helps cut down the mess... but then I get irritated when I leave *any* in the cup. What a nerd....

I think the frosting should not be the only source of flavor, but you're right, thats where it usually is. There should be a better way, though...

Lone Chatelaine said...

Lol, I get annoyed with batter left in the pyrex cup too. Especially when I have cupcakes that aren't as full as I want them.

Cerulean Bill said...

Fortunately, theres always the option of short-circuiting the process by simply eating the left over batter. Not that I would ever do that....

Lone Chatelaine said...

I do! And my dog too. I save a bit for her. Not the chocolate, cause that's bad for dogs. But she loves strawberry cake mix.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm sure that the ASPCA (American Society for the Provision of Cupcakes to Animals) would have something to say about that.