Monday, July 21, 2008

Exercise

I'm not much of an exercise person, but I do a little bit. (In a book called The Wanting of Levine, a character is asked if he knows anything about sailing. The character replies 'A little bit', and is told that to a sailor, 'a little bit' means that you've crewed in an ocean race. Otherwise, the answer is 'not much'. So I suppose I should say that I do 'not much'.) My wife's company is offering to supplement money paid into our health insurance fund if we watch a series of videos on multiple health-related topics. They're not too horrible, and the packet for each topic lasts perhaps fifteen minutes, so I do. And tonight I learned something.

Exercise trainers are sadists.

They showed a woman who was described by the trainer as being 'very fit' as she prepared to do an exercise. She made an offhand remark about the beginning being really easy, and the trainer crisply replied 'Thats as easy as its going to get'.

Boy, sure motivated me to get right out there and pump some iron!

No comments: