Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hey, Cookie

This is an old article, but I just found it. Reading it, I felt a little queasy. I'm not sure why, but I think its because it doesn't match my image of the way that girl scouts sell cookies. It just seems -- I don't know, wrong. Perhaps I'm just behind the times. It has been known to happen. But I think of these kids in the article, selling by the case -- by the case! -- and I think of my daughter, back when she did it, pitching to family and neighbors, lucky to sell two or three dozen boxes....

Maybe I'm just jealous. That's been known to happen, too.

6 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

That's all so professional and corporate sounding. Takes the fun out of it. They should just be able to be little girls and sell things, not make it such a job.

Cerulean Bill said...

You're a woman after my own heart, L. Here, have a Thin Mint...

Lone Chatelaine said...

Mmmm! Love those :)

Cerulean Bill said...

I once astonished a coworker by telling her that I still had a box of them in my office drawer about six months after the annual sale. A while back, I found four boxes (two TM, two other) squirreled away in the back of the pantry. Saving them for an Occasion, doncha know. What the hell is this, I thought, and put them out where we keep the Ritz and such. My daughter looked in that cupboard and exclaimed "How many of these things do we HAVE???"

Not a problem any more, though.

Lone Chatelaine said...

No way could I hang on to them. They don't last a week at my house. I feel bad because whenever I see those little girls lined up outside the various businesses in town with their cookie tables ready to sell, I always roll my eyes. Not because they annoy me, but because I know I can't say no to them, and then I have to eat the cookies. It's so wrong that they sell them in January too...whenever everyone is trying to diet.

Samoa too...and Dosidos! Oh man...those are so good.

Cerulean Bill said...

I once made my own thin mints. Not bad. But you know who makes better ones than the GSs? Four-H.