Saturday, July 12, 2008

MoneyGrubber

I'm not, not really. But I find that I'm aware of money these days -- the combination of not earning any, and prices, and the stock market. I am not fixated on it -- I just think about the subject.

It surprises me to realize that though neither of us was a spendthrift -- I recall reading once of a woman who said they saved money where they could, such as buying at CostCo, but the last time they were there, the store had this excellent price on plasma TVs, so..... -- we did tend to buy things that we wanted, pretty much when we saw them. Nothing expensive, but we'd do it. Now, we don't. The other day, we were poking around in Wegman's, and I saw a KitchenAid hand mixer for sale for about $50. It was exactly the one I'd been thinking about getting. My wife said that I should get it, and I thought about it -- which is the difference; before, I wouldn't have -- ended up not getting it. (My life was a misery afterwards, though... I had to use the stand mixer, or do it by hand... oh, the agony).

So I was pleased when, apropos of something I'd read, it occurred to me that our auto insurance policy cost was partially factored on how much we drove -- and these days, I drive a lot less than I used to. I dropped a line to our insurance people, they said 'go here and tell us how much you drive now', and next thing we knew, we got a note that our insurance cost per year was going down by $150.

Wonder if that mixer is still available?

4 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Hey, I need to call my insurance company and do that. I don't drive even half as much as I used to now that I work from home. It just never occurred to me to call them.

I do that too, though...see things I've been wanting and then decide not to buy it after all. Sometimes I just don't feel like parting with my money. It just feels too good in my pocket. Or bank.

Cerulean Bill said...

You could buy an awful lot of Merlot with a decent reduction in what you probably spend on insurance, I'd think...

Lone Chatelaine said...

Now THAT'S and incentive.

Merlot and bubble bath too! ;-)

Cerulean Bill said...

Yubbah yubbah!