Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dough No!

So here's the deal.

I did not want to buy a five quart lidded but not airtight bucket to store the dough from the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day (which, so far, is truthful as all hell -- if I spent more than five minutes on putting the dough together, I'll be surprised). I mean, the mixer bowl is a 2 1/2 quart bowl; who needs (or has room for) something twice that size, lurking in the refrigerator? So I cut the recipe in half, and I'm using a tall container to hold the dough that nevertheless fits on the top shelf (just).

This was supposed to be a 2-3 hour rise at room temperature. In the last 90 minutes, this dough has bumped right the hell up, on the order of doubled, easily, probably because I, ahem, did cut the recipe in half except that I forgot to do that with the yeast. So there is a LOT of yeast in there.

Its going through an overnight rise in the refrigerator. It's already taken up 3/4 of that container. The container is not air tight.

I think maybe I'll put a plate under the container....just in case the dough gets a little too ambitious....

2 comments:

Jeff Hertzberg said...

Dough yes! Hi Bill, I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the co-authors. Keep us posted-- if you have questions you can put them onto our website and we answer pretty quickly: www.artisanbreadinfive.com

Jeff Hertzberg

Cerulean Bill said...

Great Googly Moogly -- this is like writing about the pope and having him drop you a line....

I'm going to try the first batch today. I was surprised this morning to note that the dough in the refrigerator had actually collapsed -- probably halfway between where it was when I put it in and the height it had reached when I looked before going to bed last night. Hope I didn't kill it!