Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Just Good Clean Fun

From the New Yorker's response to the Obama cover flap:

"The burning flag, the nationalist-radical and Islamic outfits, the fist-bump, the portrait on the wall? All of them echo one attack or another. Satire is part of what we do, and it is meant to bring things out into the open, to hold up a mirror to prejudice, the hateful, and the absurd. And that's the spirit of this cover," a New Yorker spokesman said in a written statement.

The thing is, they probably did mean it satirically. What this shows, to me, is the gulf between the sophisticated, nay, elite tastes of some, and the mainstream. On this one, I'll count myself in with the mainstream. aka Get a clue, guys....

2 comments:

STAG said...

I made a comment on your "Canada" post a few days ago...(I was away)

'Tanks for the props eh!

Satire is lost on the general public. I just shook my head, and carried on.

Cerulean Bill said...

The only reason it wasn't completely lost on me was that I thought there was no way they actually meant it. But thats still quite a stretch. That sort of humour belongs with National Lampoon, I think.