Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fairness

I was reading an article this morning about the possibility that the Senate could reject either/both of the victors in the Minnesota and Illinois Senate openings. The article mentioned some history, including one person who challenged an election, resulting in an 'investigation' that ran for a year with no result, eventually petering out. My wife said she's rarely sure exactly why one action by a politician is legal and fair, and another is not. For example, if I give a politician a donation of $25, and later get a job from him, that's likely fair -- but if I gave $25,000 and got the job, it's not. I said I didn't have a black and white view, either, but I thought that part of it was if I was getting something that others could not have gotten, or using a resource that others could not have had access to, or getting something simply because of who I was or who I knew.

Caroline?

No comments: