Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Announcement

This year, I'm making egg nog.

Every year for the last four or five, if not more, I've bemoaned the lack of my egg nog. Oh, we buy it in the store, and its okay, but I have memories of the egg nog my grandmother used to make. I'm sure it had alcohol in it, because she would only let me have a very, very little bit. It was cold and thick, with nutmeg sprinkled atop, and it was great.

I found this recipe years ago, here. I don't recall if I ever made it, but it sounds good.

Ingredients for 8 servings:
4 fresh eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar, separated
1/2 cup White Rum
1 1/2 cups Milk (whole or 2%)
1 1/2 cups whiskey
1 cup heavy whipping cream, separated
ground nutmeg (1 cup, separated)

1. Separate eggs into yolks and whites in separate bowls (see below for a how-to). I put the whites into the mixer and the yolks into another bowl.
2. Beat egg-yolks with 1/2 of sugar, set aside.
3. Beat egg-whites until stiff, then mix in other 1/2 of sugar.
4. Pour the yolks into the whites and mix together slowly.
5. Stir in white rum slowly. I've tried dark rum and it works.
6. Stir in milk slowly
7. Stir in whiskey slowly (Bourbon, Canadian, Sour Mash. I use Jim Beam or Jack Daniels)
8. Stir in 1/2 of cream slowly
9. Whip rest (1/2) of cream and fold in carefully.
10. Serve at room temperature by ladling the eggnog into cups and sprinkle nutmeg on the top.Try to get some of the foam and some of the liquid (if not fully mixed) in each cup.



This year, I'm making egg nog.

No comments: