Thursday, December 11, 2008

Furious Again

Well, my daughter's furious with me. Again.

I had shown her how she could use File/Save Page As to keep a copy of a web page. She did that, and now she can't get it open again. Apparently, the page is built in Javascript, and so far as I can see, there's no way to invoke the various script elements. Surely there must be...
------------------
Update: I think I have a workaround, if I can persuade my daughter to try it. Thanks for the default history retention setting, Firefox, and that my daugher is profoundly uninterested in knowing (and therefore changing) such things....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not as far as I know. If you have Rhino (it's somewhere on Firefox's site, I think), that can run Javascript independently. In some cases...

Javascript is not intended to be run outside of the web-page, and it's nearly always run in a "sandbox" that requires it to be attached to the server. (Google's Web Toolkit gets around this limitation, but not many sites use it, and it has to be specially 'built').

Sorry - there's probably no way it can be run as a saved page.

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I think I found an out - maybe. My browser's history is only one or two days -- but hers is the Firefox default, which I think is thirty or sixty days. She'll likely blow me off, but it does suggest that she could find it again, in the history, and bring up the original pages again.

I guess I just never thought about Javascript and dynamic pages. I knew that some pages were built on the fly, but haven't given much thought as to why. Other than to allow quick changes, or perhaps to protect their material -- ala things like I'm trying to do -- are there other reasons to go the Jscript vs HTML route?

Unknown said...

HTML is just too limiting for what people want to do. It's barely interactive, and so on. Javascript, via Ajax (it means something, but I forget what; perhaps it was javascript + XML ?) gives web designers almost endless possibilities. But it does mean everything is tied to the Internet.

To get the pages back, the history file is good. To save the pages - well, that's not as easy as it used to be!

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm thinking a screen capture app.... yeah, like I have a clue what THAT would take.