Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Weather or Not

The little temperature gauge on my blog says 32F/0 C, which reminds me of the old story of the radio guy in the midwest, half awake, who was reading the weather and said, astonished, "Why, its zero degrees -- no weather at all!" I never actually heard anyone say that, but when I lived near Rapid City, South Dakota, I would listen to their local station, which was on the hick, I mean rural, side. I can easily see one of their people doing it. Coming from New York City, it was a surprise to hear the same voice doing material on TV, radio, and even local commercials shown before the flicks downtown. I liked Rapid City, for all that it was so down-key. Their library -- I think there was just one, though I'm not sure -- had a statue of a settler woman outside it. When my wife and I visited (I was showing her the Air Force base I'd been at), I referred to it as The Original Prairie Home Companion.

Woke up from a dream this morning, wondering if I still had a job. Hmm.....

I was thinking about marriage the other day. I recall reading once that marriage should be difficult to get into and easy to get out of. I tend to think that's true. Its not black and white -- the length of the marriage, the complexity of the domestic environment, the entanglement of the finances, they all should affect how you disengage from the marriage (doesn't that sound antiseptic?), but the practical effect should be that if you don't want to be married any more, you can 'not' be. I think my dream was linking 'the current economic uncertainty' (sounds pretty antiseptic, too) with episodes of Boston Legal that we'd been watching yesterday. We'd been made aware of the show by a friend and were surprised, watching it real-time, how much we liked it -- so we rented the first season (its about the third, now, or possibly the fifth), and were astonished how how much some characters had been changed, particularly Shatners. We liked each version, but for different reasons. One of the sub-plots was a person on his fifth marriage who wanted out of it. I recall Robert Culp, the actor, who was married many times, saying that after the fourth or fifth, you begin to wonder if maybe its you.

No comments: