Friday, December 05, 2008

Big Red Suit

Tomorrow's the first of three scheduled arrangements to wear the big red suit.

I'm a little apprehensive -- I always am, but in this case, it's warranted, as the woman who takes the pictures for this event is very bad with crying children; she tends to think that the way to get them to stop is to wave a stuffed animal in their face; she's also more than willing to say that I'd be glad to hold three or four squirming infants all at once. But I imagine it'll go pretty well. Then one week from tomorrow, I do it for the employee event at the local hospital, and that following Monday, at a function for homeless kids.

I'm also doing (or offering to do) something a little different, this year. It occurred to me that there are at least three neighbors with small children - perhaps they'd like to have Santa come to their house to visit with their child. Free, of course. Not sure if anyone will take me up on it, but its worth a shot.

And then in two and a half weeks, I retire the suit and stuff for another year.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Sounds like fun...you must do an Art Linkletter blog on kids saying the darnedest things.

Unknown said...

Have you thought about waving the screaming child in the photographers' face? :-)

I might work... :-D

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

They don't tend to, with me. They're mostly quiet, though you can get some to giggle if you work at it. And once again, I managed to mistake one gender for another -- soft features, long (about two feet) braided hair. I hate when I do that.

I might try that technique, CA. It really irks me to see kids treated like they're just there to have a picture taken for the parents -- which is exactly how two of them were, this morning.