Thursday, November 01, 2007

This, That, And So Forth

As to the topic d'jour -- it now appears (to me, anyway), that what my mother had was an actual stroke, not a TIA. This is based on something I read to the effect that a TIA's effects usually go away quickly, within a day. My mother's not seeing that. She's improving, but she's still having garbled speech about half the time. I found this page to be particularly helpful, in regards to TIAs, and this one, in regards to strokes, equally so.

I had a small flurry of baking in the last two days -- the Mocha Chunk cookies, which went over quite well at my wife's office, and then yesterday I made some chocolate ones for my daughter's French club. They were intended to be delicate cut-out cookies, but that didn't quite happen, so I said the heck with it, made chocolate cookies, and covered them with powdered sugar. My daughter said the club would be lucky to get them.

I'll be doing some cleaning today, and making a run to the library, but mostly I'll be thinking about strokes. What a fun topic, huh?

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

I'm sorry Bill, I hope your mom springs back fine. It sounds like shes on the road to recovery.
Strokes are not fun by any means. My mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer but the stroke was the thing that eventually took her, and quick, within 5 hours and she was gone.
So I'm happy for you that yours is improving so well. Love her while you got her.

Cerulean Bill said...

She's definitely progressing -- you can hear more definition in her words, though, overall, she sounds as if she has a mouthfull of novocaine. And now that I know about dysphagia, I have something else to contemplate....