Sunday, November 11, 2007

Fear

In a response to a post on another site, I quoted the following, which is from the Dune series. Its fake theology, or philosophy, or whatever, but, you know what? I like it.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.


3 comments:

SusieJ said...

Nice words for a Sunday. Thanks.

Vica said...

As someone who has often been accused of being a Bene Gesserit witch (hopefully more in the Lady Jessica style not the scary old crone style), I must admit . . . there are times I really cling to the Tao of Dune.

If it's really a good thought, do I have to care where it comes from? Even if it's semi-pulpy sci fi?

Cerulean Bill said...

No, you don't. NO, YOU DON'T! (Just drowning out the nay-sayers, there).

Good ideas are everywhere -- you just take the ones that work for you, stitch'em together, make a coherent philosophy of them, test them against your reality.

Personally, if someone mistook ME for a bene gesserit, I think I'd be complimented, even if I did always think of my self as more the sandworm type.