Friday, November 23, 2007

Mentor, and More

I've been giving a lot of thought to this mentor thing, and what I've come up with so far is that I should focus more on being a companion than a teacher. I don't mean being a pal to the kid, but just work on being someone who's obviously interested in what he's doing, both in and out of school. I need to express an interest in his classes, ask him to show me some of the things he's doing, but I shouldn't limit it to that. I need to make him understand that I care about how he's doing, overall. I'd think that he gets that from his parents (I have no reason to assume that he doesn't), but perhaps if he gets it from someone who's not obligated to do it, and if that someone obviously does think that things like sixth grade Social Studies are useful -- perhaps it'll help generate some interest in his mind. I know, it sounds weak to me, too -- but its the best that I can come up with.

Tomorrow, my mother comes home from the hospital. We'll be glad for her to be home, but we expect a certain amount of stress as a result of it. She's going to feel very weak, no matter how much progress she's made, and she'll get tired very easily. We expect that she won't want to push herself at all -- the last time she came home from the hospital, we (mostly my wife) had to be firm, not doing things for her which were easy for us to do, but difficult for her. (One time, after being told that she was sure my mother could do some minor task, my wife says my mother -- my sweet old mother -- actually glared at her.) We have to remember that doing that worked for us last time, and, more important, it worked for her. We have to do it again. Lets hope it doesn't last too long.

Speaking of not lasting too long, the in-and-out trip of my acquaintance's daughter went without incident. For some reason, that pleases me. Still not friends, of course. Got to remember that.

And we bought two Christmas trees today -- one live one, currently resident in a bucket of nutrient out behind the garage, and one artificial, currently resident in a box in the garage. We'll going to put the real one up in the living room (we hope), and the artificial one next to a bay window in the kitchen nook. At least, that's the plan. We'll see how it goes.

5 comments:

SusieJ said...

This is a GREAT thing that you're doing. It's wonderful that you're pondering it all so well, and not jumping in blindly. It's a big commitment.

Cerulean Bill said...

At least when my daughter was born, we had a couple of years to figure it out. She didn't care as long as she was fed and changed. This ones a little more difficult. I wish I had a clue about whats expected. Theres way too much 'then a miracle occurs' in this for me!

Sweeti said...

Did you get to pick this child according to his or her interest?...another question, Did they take into consideration your fields of interest and match you up with the child with the best possible match?
My idea of a mentor is a trusted guide, sort of the bumpers for the rolling bowling ball but, with a direction in mind.
It seems to me if you have a hobby that appeals to them too it might make the transitional phase of the "get to know you better" easier. Learning comes from all aspects of life, for instance, I taught cooking to kids, but during the time we spent cooking we discussed many other topics.
The hobby lent more freedom to our exploration of topics, sort of like driving and talking to your kids at the same time. They feel freer to approach you.

Cerulean Bill said...

Nope, and nope. It was just 'well, we have a child for you', and we were off to the races. I know, that sounds kind of crazy to me, too.

I like your analogy.The only problem I have is, I didn't really want to become any kind of life coach for the kid. All I wanted to do was help them do well in school. But it sounds like I may have to think outside that box.

Sweeti said...

Well, Bill I don't know if this is a choice you will have in this program. Kids that find a good mentor tend to latch on, You know from mentoring your own daughter you'd never consider limiting yourself as far as she is concerned, albeit, she is your child.
If you get further involved with this kid, you'll want to give more of yourself if he or she shows the tendancy to want to acheive given the guildance you give.

Life coaching comes from some of the most unexpected places.

You do need to build your bond first or you'll never get anywhere though. So, I agree, you need to think out of the box. It will reward you twofold. I promise.