Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cutting Remarks

Yesterday, I was at a plastic surgeon's office to have the site of the bone graft donation (the iliac crest, if you're into these things) checked out for infection and such. All's well. As we were finishing up, I mentioned that I had seen a brief article on the Google news scoop about a woman who'd died after plastic surgery. Oh, yeah, I saw that, he replied. Didn't read it, though. What was that about? I told him that the woman had apparently had both breast reduction and a tummy tuck done at the same time, though at least one doctor thought it risky; she'd gone home afterward, and died. He shook his head. Well, I just started doing breast reductions, he said, and I've done tummy tucks for years, but I'd never do them both at the same time.

I like knowing a little medicine, and I like conservative doctors, but this really wasn't a conversation I'd ever expected to have.

2 comments:

STAG said...

Looking at myself in the mirror t'other day, and I was thinking I SHOULD have a breast reduction.

Disturbing thoughts when you are a man.

Cerulean Bill said...

I would bet that doctors have a way of referring to it so that it sounds like a manly thing to do. You know, 'Upper Pectoral Underlayment Intensification'. Hey, doc, gimme one of them You-Pooeys! Well, maybe not.... perhaps we should start with a manly sounding acronym that can be retrofitted into a medical phrase. Hey, doc, gimme one of them Glittering Steel in the Heart of my Enemy procedures! 'K, one You-Pooey coming up!