Sunday, November 18, 2007

And This is Why

I use Thunderbird as an email client. Its not bad. First off, its not Microsoft; second, its free; third, it does junk mail filtering; fourth, it has the ability to execute rules on mail based on content. Its search capabilities could be better. Still, its an overall decent tool. It does have the occasional surprise, though. For example, this afternoon, it decided to completely forget about all three email identities. Blank, nada, nothing there.

(Nurse, some oxygen over here, stat!)

The good news is, I've been running an intermittant backup, so I had a copy of the emails and file structure thats current as of about a week ago. The bad news is, TBird doesn't seem to acknowledge that you might want to use profiles from someplace else (like the backup folder). I had to recreate the ids, then overlay them with the backed-up profiles. Just putting them in the right place wasn't enough. My guess is, it uses 'something else' to tell itself that those profiles ought to be used.

I added a gimmick to it, though; we'll see if it works. My email comes through a POP mainframe. I put a rule on it to say that any incoming mail for any of those systems ought to be copied to my GMAIL account. This won't save emails going out, but, hey, I'll take what I can get.

This is why I do backups.

No comments: