Saturday, November 17, 2007

Prius Trivia

I've noticed on occasion a small yellow light come in the dashboard when I've been punching it around a corner. Not always, but occasionally. Today I found that that's called the 'Slip Indicator Light', and it means the TRAC system's been engaged. TRAC is a form of advanced ABS; its different, but the goal is the same: to reduce slippage when you're in dicey situations. Thats the good news.

The bad news is, if you're in really slippery situations, the Prius TRAC system might decide that its too slippery to allow the vehicle to run, at which point it kills drive power. I've noticed, once or twice, when the light flickered on, that it sounded like the drive system slowed down, almost as if it were shifting (which you never hear on a Prius because of the kind of transmission it has). But I never heard of this.

OMG.

No comments: