Monday, November 19, 2007

Use the Force, Luke!

I was futzing around the web, and came across the Yanko Design site (which I've seen before, and liked). This time, it was displaying a proposed product called HealFast that would promote healing through a mild electrical current as part of a bandage. Here's a picture from their site:As I was reading it, I thought that I recalled (vaguely) reading about work having been done with this kind of thing, though I thought it was with bones, not generalized healing. So I GSearched it, and found this article on the Time Magazine site which spoke of the potential for use in encouraging bones to knit which otherwise would not. The article clearly said that it isn't for routine use, but rather times when bones simply aren't fusing, and where the alternative might be amputation, if not worse.

Funny, I thought, it was sexier when Yanko said it. The power of clean design, huh? But the two really aren't the same -- they're talking wounds, not bones. I wondered if a more precise search would turn up something snappy. Well... how snappy does this sound?

Yeah, me too. Guess I'll stick with believing the pretty pictures....

2 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

It's possible that it works because the pain from the electical shock makes you forget the other ailment...bloody genius!

Cerulean Bill said...

I would think that the ionizing aura is pretty impressive, too, especially in a darkened room, or one filled with flammable vapors.